Friday, February 10, 2012

The salad was just ducky......


I do not have much experience with duck - either cooking or eating. When I found the frozen duck breasts at the market, I decided the time had come. So Google and I did some research and came up with a salad of fresh greens topped with cherries, slivered almonds, blue cheese and a champagne wine vinaigrette. It was different and delicious. Thank you MyRecipes.com.
The cherries were pitted and halved.
The slivered almonds were toasted slightly over a low heat.

And the salad dressing was assembled.
2 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 Tablespoons Champagne wine vinegar,
1 Tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used less) and 1/8 teaspoon pepper were blended together. 

Years ago I bought a Bonjour Caffe Frother. This handy little tool not only will froth milk but helps in making a vinaigrette. The one I have is probably no longer made but the company makes a similar one today.

I set a very simple table.

The white dish is Apilco and the salad plates are Guy Buffet.

Ingredients were assembled. The duck was grilled on top of the stove. Next time was shall cook it outside on the grill so that more of the fat drips off.
And keeping with the cherry theme - what else but a chocolate covered cherry for dessert!
I am joining Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for another Pink Saturday. This week we can share how we show our love. Cooking is a way that we share our love.

Wishing you all a Happy Pink Saturday and a Happy Valentine's Day!

17 comments:

Olive said...

Joe has had duck before but I am not brave enough to prepare it so good for you in making this pretty dish.

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

It looks and sounds delicious. We don't have duck very often but usually with orange sauce when we do.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and a Very Happy Valentines Day. Jackie.x

Snap said...

Looks delicious. I don't *do* duck ... left over from when my Dad went hunting and brought home the ducks to clean. I was probably around 5 or 6 and cried for days over the poor, beautiful ducks! Never saw a duck in the house again (or on my plate)!

Maggie said...

Confit of duck is a favourite of mine if I find it on a restaurant menu, we don't eat duck at all at home.
Your dish looks very appetizing, good idea though to grill it next time to lose even more of the fat.
bon weekend

From the Kitchen said...

Lovely! I have a duck in the freezer (always do in the winter in case we have a blizzard and want to dine well) that is asking to be featured in a delicious way!

I've never thought of using my frother to make a salad dressing. What a great idea.

Best,
Bonnie

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Having grown up on Long Island (you know...Roast L.I. ducking) I have always loved duck! Your dish looks wonderful!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

It looks good and sounds good. I did eat duck growing up as my Dad hunted. Never in a salad, though.
HPS and have a wonderful and happy Valentines Day!
♥ Jil

podso said...

I think I've made duck once -- and I remember all the grease--several cups of it! But it was good. Your salad looks pretty and delicious!

Gypsea Nurse said...

Great post! Funny how most people always gather in the kitchen... and having a good cook doesn't hurt either....
HPS!
C

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I ate duck regularly in France, but haven't found it here. The salad looks yummy! Have a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Carol Sweetie...
Oh my what a gorgeous, scrumptous share today for Valentine's Day. I have never eaten duck, but you sure made it look wonderful. The recipe sounds absolutely delightful and of course I love cherries on anything. I loved your table setting, and the meal again looks supurb. Thank you for sharing.

Have a gorgeous weekend sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

1CardCreator said...

Looks delicious and I love your photography too! Happy Pink Saturday! ~Diane (I am #16)

Chubskulit Rose said...

Fabulous post for Valentine's day. I love your pink!

Flamingo Love is my one of my pink this week. Have a great weekend.

Eileen said...

It sounds and looks scrumptious. :)

Decor To Adore said...

Oh this looks delicious! I have cooked duck (a la orange) only once. I didn't feel like it was worth the work. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recipe it looks very delicious and my hubby loves duck. I'm always looking for new and yummy things to try.

Hugs, LisaKay
Belles Roses Romantiques

The Tablescaper said...

Wow! That sounds amazing and such a nice change from duck a la orange. Why don't you link your post to Seasonal Sundays?

- The Tablescaper

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin