Monday, June 22, 2009

cooking in the cabbage....







My grandchildren could not decide whether I lived in a cabin or a cottage so it became Mimi’s “cabbage” and the name has stuck. They know that there are cookies in the pantry and juice boxes in the refrigerator. The “washable” crayons are in the table drawer. Tiny pine cones and acorns are along the path that used to be a railroad track. But their favorite place is the beach. We can all sit and watch them closely as they run back and forth between the water and the neighbor’s swing set.

Saturday was a beautiful day. The air was crisp but the temperature was warm - a perfect day for making bread. I had all the ingredients for my wheat germ bread on hand. I had not made this bread for years and I had forgotten how easy it was. The cabin smelled wonderful and it was all I could do not to cut off the ends and slather them with butter.



It is a little more difficult to bake some of my favorites because I don’t have all the “stuff” at the "cabbage" that I have in Florida. But the cake I am going to make for this weekend doesn’t need all that. This cake is called Marian Beeson’s Party Cake and is deep, dark and delicious. Marian Beeson was a friend of Gram Potter’s in Sussex, NJ. Church suppers and socials thrived and this cake was always a hit. As I have been writing this blog, it is interesting to find out if the foods I remember loving so much were really that good. I know that my love of twinkies was misplaced.


Marian Beeson's Party Cake

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
8 tablespoons butter
2 cups flour
1 cup boiling water
1 heaping teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together eggs, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Melt chocolate and butter. Add to above mixture. Add flour and mix well. Then combine baking soda and boiling water. Add quickly to cake batter. Pour into a 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Frost with favorite buttercream icing.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin