Friday, June 26, 2009

Today is the big day.....


Well, I am officially 65 today! Medicare has had me at this age for months now. I may choose to celebrate my birthday for a month however I do not recall giving them the go ahead!

We finally had sun yesterday! We went to North Conway for a food shop and lunch with friends. We stopped at the Glass Cottage to see what vintage Fenton glass Lucy had and poke around some of the other stores. The shopping list was huge! The trunk is small. Sometimes I have to drive back with groceries in my lap. Jack drives and I have stuff by my feet and in my lap! I am trying to put together a tablescape with my Sascha Brastoff dishes so I am looking for compatible stuff.






I follow several blogs now and when I figure out how to share them I will. This blogging is a real learning experience. Some of them even have music playlists! I especially like the blogs that decorate tables and rooms with a sort of shabby chic feeling. As a "dish" person, I read them and want to go shopping!



Jack is making chili today and the cabin will have some wonderful smells. He starts with















and


and the browned meat. It cooked all day. The cabin smelled delicious! We will serve it Saturday night!



Sunday is "Bloody Mary Sunday". We will have our guests and our neighbors over and I will serve some light munchies. This Texas Caviar is easy to make ahead. It makes a lot. Serve it with Tortilla scoops!


Texas Caviar

Marinade:
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar

Bring ingredients to a boil and let cool completely.

Combine:
1 can black eyed peas (rinsed and drained)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can white shoepeg corn (drained)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
3 tablespoon chopped pimentos
3 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
2 scallions, chopped

Mix all the above in a bowl. Add marinade and mix well. Refrigerate overnight. There are many variations of this recipe. If there is any left, serve it with grilled chicken!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin