Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rain, rain go away.....






At least we had a good week to get settled because today it is really raining. We have the heat on in the cottage just to take the chill off and I have on socks! The cookout planned for tonight will not happen but that's ok. I will not be saying ok, however, if it is still raining next week.
UPS (my favorite vehicle) brought my new EQ add ons. Amy Butler is working with EQ and her software includes 22 projects. I'm sure there will be another rainy day soon to play with this program. The new Stash is out for Spring and that is now installed. I like to look out at the lake and make virtual quilts!


We are off to visit family over the weekend and then we will settle into our routine of not leaving the cabin except to buy food or go out to lunch. We have done almost all the errands. The cars will be serviced in the next few days and a few things need to be done at Jack's house. At least if it's raining, I can be working on this blog.



In Sarasota at Sew Worth It, I took a class from the ladies who wrote One Block Wonder Encore. I had hoped to get it all put together before I left but it just didn't happen. So I have started working on it in the cabin and I love the process. I did a quilt from their first book but the second book allows for additional blocks and fabrics. The first one block wonder I call "Old Port Kaleidoscope". On Exchange Street in Portland there used to be a shop of exquisite items including these magnificent, handmade kaleidoscopes. I wish I had bought one!








The new one in progress....I love the cubes. Planning them requires concentration. Some of the class participants did cubes that went wow and others were more subtle. Can't wait to finish this and send it to Lynn for quilting!








Tonight for supper we will have fish chowder. This recipe is very easy and comes from a community cookbook I bought in NH years ago.
Oven Fish Chowder
2 pounds fresh haddock fillets
4 - 5 medium potatoes, ½ inch dice
few celery leaves
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons salt
4 whole cloves
3 onions, chopped
½ cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
½ cup dry white wine or vermouth (optional)
2 cups boiling water
2 cups half and half
Put all ingredients except cream in a large casserole. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Check to see if fish flakes and potatoes are cooked. Heat cream in a medium saucepan to scalding. Add to chowder. Stir to flake fish. Yields about 8 servings. Serve with salad and crusty bread.























No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin