Tuesday, July 21, 2009

big day tomorrow




The birthday festival continues....My sister arrives tomorrow. It will be a short visit but we will cram as much into the visit as we can. She and her husband own a catering business in Atlanta so I am sure that we will be in the kitchen even though she is on vacation. Reminiscing about our parents and grandparents will ultimately lead to food.

You cannot spend the summer in Maine without talking about the weather. Hopefully, it will be wonderful but so far it does not look promising. Good thing I have 2 sewing machines and lots of fabric.



I was rummaging around and found some feed sack material. Years ago I went to Lancaster County to the big quilt show. What a treat. For a quilter from a little town in Maine, it was a shopper's paradise. I had no idea of the "stuff" out there. However, the feed sacks caught my eye. There were packages of precut squares. They were all different. The feed sacks had been washed, layered, and die cut. I think I bought one of each collection. I have made 2 quilts with these squares and even won a ribbon at the Fryeburg Fair!

I haven't used all of the feed sacks so I think I will make another quilt for the loft. Then I will bring some of Gram Potter's pillowcases with knitted lace trim for shams. The twin beds will each have a quilt for a bedspread and one folded at the foot of the bed.

We raced around grocery shopping for my sister's visit tomorrow. They had mussels in the fish market so that's what we had for dinner. I use my wok because it the best shape for cooking this dish in the cabin and it works well. Saute 2 minced shallots in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add about 2 cups wine and cook down until the wine is less evident. Add mussels and cook covered until they open. Meanwhile cook the pasta of your choice and toss with pesto. I add the mussel broth as well and serve the mussels on top. A crusty baguette is a good accompaniment. This a very easy and elegant dinner.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin