Monday, July 6, 2009

first efforts


I am still in my PhotoShop mode. This merged photo took a long time but was really fun. I will do a few more - hopefully in a shorter time.








It's time to get back to the sewing machine and finish my One Block Wonder. This picture was taken in the class I took at Sew Worth It in Sarasota. The 2 day workshop was wonderful and all the different fabrics were inspiring. I made a One Block Wonder 2 years ago and thought I would lose my mind but the end result was spectacular I thought. This new one uses hexagon cubes to break up the kaleidoscopes and transition color.



I made some hexagons in the class (above) but the real work started at home. For a quilter, the design wall is a necessity. You need to be able to step back and see how the quilt is going to look. A reducing glass (like a magnifying glass) shrinks the quilt to give the quilter an idea of the finished quilt.













Just looking at the pictures has re-inspired me!




So, dinner will have to be easy. Reservations would be good but we are stay-at-homes when it comes to going out at night. Pizza is always good. I use pizza dough from the market. I know I could make it but the cabin is small. Jack cuts up 3-4 yellow onions and we caramelize them. A little butter, a little oil and a heavy pan. We cook them for exactly 1 hour. I read recently that the best way to caramelize onions was to walk away from the pan. We don't but we try to resist the urge to constantly stir. We set them aside until we are ready to build the pizza.

Like many of my dishes, very rarely are the results the same. Tonight the pizza will have some leftover sauce, slices of grilled Italian sweet sausage, sauteed mushrooms, fire roasted red peppers, fresh basil and mozzarella. The onions go on top and I sometimes top it all with freshly grated Parmesan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin