Wednesday, July 29, 2009

such a good time!







The visit was a success. Everyone has gone now and I am regrouping and hoping to get back into the blog mode. We really cooked and we really ate! The foods were "early Sussex" for Gram Potter who was a wonderful cook. The quilts were for Gram who made them by hand. And the rest of the food is what Jean and I blended for a contemporary feeling.


The Menu


Pickled Beets
Deviled Eggs
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Creamy Coleslaw
Barbecued Chicken with Rub
Barbecued Pork from Georgia
Snowflake Rolls


Orange Shortcake Biscuits
with white and yellow peaches
garnished with raspberrries and
whipped cream


unsweetened tea




I didn't get any pictures. Once the food was on the table it was on the table. We used paper plates - just plain white paper plates and paper towels so it didn't seem photogenic.




Jack thought there would be too much food. Two of my 3 sons were there. We had leftovers for dinner and that food is gone. We were lucky to be able to grill the chicken and eat outside before the heavens opened up again (yes, more rain). My boys had not seen their Aunt for a few years so that was fun. With my friends from South Portland, there were 7 adults and 2 children.

I used to make baked beans in the bean pot. I soaked them overnight and used salt pork, onion ,dry mustard, and molasses. The when I served them I would smother them with ketchup. Now I make them Larry's way. They are never the same twice but they are always good. Depending on the number of people, I use 1 regular can or 3 large cans of baked beans. I like Bush brand but that is just my choice. I like the vegetarian beans. Or mix a couple of kinds. This what I call a dump casserole. Dump the beans in a casserole (for this crowd I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish) and 2 large cans of beans. Chop 2 onions coarsely and add those. Then add 1/2 package of real bacon pieces, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, A few glugs of molasses, 1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce. Stir this all together. We cook the casserole at 350 degrees for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. We like the top to caramelize. You can also lower the oven temperature and cook longer.



I need a few days of sunshine or at least no rain. I need to find some flowers and gardens. The rain has ruined most Jack's flowers and I am going through older photos trying to find all the day lilies that I want to merge. There is still more to come so stay tuned.











No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin