Thursday, May 28, 2009

Almost back in Maine.....


There is so much to do to close up one house and go to another 1500 miles away. It would be lovely to just travel with a small purse and have everything at both homes but it just doesn't work that way. This year we are shipping less - smaller boxes for older backs - but still we can't seem to avoid a hefty UPS cost. It is my fault. It's the quilts and my projects. I cannot be without them. I must have projects and I must have choices.


I love fabrics and I love patterns. I love quilting books, cookbooks, needlepoint books and books on how to simplify your life (they haven't worked so far). My regular reading is done with the Kindle and that has saved space. The Accucut Go organized my projects to take back and I just hope I have enough. Although if it rains all summer, I may not even get out of bed.




Jack has been talking about his famous Mrs. Bennett's Spaghetti Sauce made with tomato soup of all things. So I gave the recipe to my friend Sue and she has been eating it out of pan not even bothering with pasta. I have started the grocery list for Maine and this will be the first thing we make!



Mrs. Bennett's Sauce


1 cup water

2 cans tomato soup

2 T Worcestershire sauce

2 T cider vinegar

1 t chili powder

2 bay leaves

1 can tomato paste

15 oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 package mushrooms sliced

1 medium onion, chopped fine

1 lb. hamburg, browned and drained

1 Italian finger pepper chopped fine

a good pinch of oregano

pinch of salt


Saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic in 2 T olive oil. Add everything to a Dutch oven and simmer until thick - about 3 hours. After 2 hours, add a good glug of red wine. Best made the day before.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin