Saturday, May 30, 2009

Procrastinating and Prioritizing both start with p....


As I said yesterday, I did find the recipe for Wheat Germ Bread. I made this for years. I was in my "mother of the year phase". I probably made this bread 3 times a week. We ate it all. We toasted it, we served it hot out of the oven with soup or stew, and we used it for sandwiches. I don't know who gave me the recipe but we lived in Falmouth then. I was pregnant with Greg. The kitchen was small. I had plants in the windows. The light was wonderful and they thrived. Scented geraniums were my favorites. Rich would pretend they were taking over the kitchen. It was a cute house but too small. We found the house in Gorham and moved there when Greg was about 9 months old. I can't remember when I stopped making this bread. I went on to make lots of others and that was before bread machines. I think that there was a dry spell in bread making because we started working on the house and there was hair plaster all over the house.



Wheat Germ Bread

3 cups warm water
3 cakes yeast
1/3 cup honey
9-10 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
5 tablespoons oil
1 cup wheat germ

Combine water, yeast and honey in a large bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Add 5 cups flour and the salt. Beat with a spoon until batter is smooth. Add wheat germ and remaining flour and blend well. Pour oil over dough and knead in bowl for about 3 minutes. The dough will absorb most or all of the oil. Cover the bowl and let rise until doubled - about 45 minutes. Punch down and knead slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 3 loaves. Let rise until doubled - about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until done.


I never did get the "mother of the year award". In the sub-category of "mother of the day", I once made it until 10:35 am.
We have tomorrow and Monday morning to finish up. I am having so much fun with this blog that I am either going to have to get up a 4 for the next 2 days or just let some things wait until November. That is called prioritizing!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin