Friday, May 29, 2009

Perfect meals







Even if the meal isn't perfect, the table has to look perfect. I love dishes. Living in a condo has cut down on my collection but I still look and yearn. It's funny how one's tastes change over the years. When Rich and I were getting married, the decisions about china and silver were of great importance. One needed to be registered right after the engagement or even before it was announced so that gifts could be given at the various parties and showers that would follow. I must have changed my mind 3 or 4 much to my mother's embarrassment and finally settled on Essex Maroon by Lenox. My silver pattern was Homewood by Steiff. My crystal was too dainty and it broke rather quickly (probably because I put it in the dishwasher). I still have the silver but haven't used it in 10 or 15 years and the Lenox I put in a garage sale.







For years I scoured antique shops looking for depression glass and greenware. I bought various patterns and loved to mix them up. Now I rarely use real china. My favorites are Apilco and Vietri. I keep the table set but usually eat on the lanai or move the place settings to the side and use plain dishes. Living in Florida for most of year calls for a different look that small town New England.




I found the recipe for the wheat germ bread I made for years. Jeff mentioned it last year and that's when I thought I would try to organize some of these memories. I will post that tomorrow and try to find some older pictures.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin